International students

The Reina Sofía School of Music has an international vocation: to welcome and train young talents coming from anywhere in the world. Each year, 150 students from more than 30 countries coexist in an inviting multicultural environment where music is the common language. We consider cultural diversity to be one of the core values of our educational project.

All foreigners who are interested in studying at the School will have access to advice and help with the necessary administrative procedures to formalize their stay in Spain. Likewise, the School’s team will be in constant contact with all students throughout the entire course to help them quickly and comfortably fit into the dynamics of the institution as well as in the life and customs of the city.

When planning your stay in Spain, it is important to take several aspects into consideration:

Student Visa and NIE

As of the first day of the course, non-European international students must have a student visa that allows them to obtain a NIE (Foreign National Identification Number) to reside legally in Spain. As this is a long process, it is advisable to go as soon as possible to the corresponding Spanish consulate to get information on documentation and the time necessary to obtain this document.

In case of having a student visa from another European country (Schengen), students must likewise process their residency in Spain and get their Spanish NIE during the first month of their stay in the country.

Recognition of studies

International students that want to course our Bachelor's or Master's degrees must have their previous studies recognised. For more information, consult the sections of the Spanish Ministry of Education on Recognition of non-university studies (website available only in Spanish) and the Recognition of foreign university degrees (website available only in Spanish).

The homologation process must be started in person at the Spanish Consulate of the country of origin, or at the Ministry of Education in Madrid. The application for homologation should be submitted before September 1st.

Health insurance

European students must have a European Health Insurance Card that is valid throughout the academic year or buy private health insurance during the same period.

The School bears the annual cost of private health insurance for non-EU students.

Under age students

It is essential that under age students are accompanied by their guardian throughout their entire stay in Spain. If they are not accompanied by one of their parents, these may appoint a legal representative by means of a notarial document that verifies this decision.

Student Accommodations

The student must establish residence in Madrid for the academic year. You can find more information and tips on living in Madrid here.


The official language of the school is Spanish.

To study official degrees (Bachelor and Master's Degree), a sufficient command of the language will be necessary to be able to pass the contents required by the study plan.

In cases where the level of Spanish is not adequate and a place has been obtained, a year of Preliminary Studies may be offered to facilitate the student's adaptation to teaching in this language.

Instrumental subjects can be taught in Spanish or English (in exceptional circumstances an interpreter may be available).

It is not necessary to present any certificate, but if you wish you may provide one through the registration form.

The official language at the school is Spanish, so an intensive Spanish course will be offered to all non-Spanish-speaking students in their first year of studies.