The Conducting Chair of the Reina Sofía School of Music offers a unique academic programme that awards a Postgraduate Diploma in Advanced Orchestra Conducting Studies. The Chair will be lead by Nicolás Pasquet, with the collaboration of Jordi Francés and Miguel Ángel García Cañamero as associate professors.
In order to be admitted to the programme, candidates must have previously completed a Bachelor's degree in Orchestra Conducting, and a Master's degree will be an advantage. In some exceptional cases, the panel may invite candidates who do not meet these requirements to audition. The duration of the programme varies according to the student's profile, ranging from 1 to 2 years. Our priority is to provide an enriching and close educational experience, so the number of students will be limited to 4.
The practical approach is one of the fundamental pillars of our programme. Students will have the unique opportunity to collaborate with prestigious Spanish and European orchestras, immersing themselves in a fully professional environment.Orchestras like Orquesta de Extremadura, Orquesta Sinfónica de Castilla y León, Orquesta de Córdoba, Filharmonie Hradec Králové, and Anhaltische Philharmonie Dessau will take part in the collaboration.
In the next months we will continue working to expand our partnerships, in order to offer a direct student-orchestra contact at the highest international level, as it is the immersion in orchestral practice that will allow our students to gain the valuable experience that will enhance their skills and knowledge in the art of conducting.
At the Reina Sofía School of Music we pride ourselves on providing an education of the highest standard, with a unique focus on the professional and artistic development of our students. Below you will find more detailed information about the study programme.
Collaborations with Spanish and European orchestras to facilitate practical teaching in a fully professional environment, for 2-4 days at least 6 times a year.
Collaborating orchestras include the Orquesta de Extremadura, Orquesta Sinfónica de Castilla y León, Orquesta de Córdoba, Filharmonie Hradec Králové, and Anhaltische Philharmonie Dessau.
- Instrumental Practice (for pianists).
- Instrumental Practice (for Orchestral Instrumentalists)
- Specialised Listening Education
- Languages applied to singing: choose one or more from Italian, German, French, English.
Elective subjects [3 max]:
- Opera Repetition
- Artist Development
- History of Music
- History of Musical Thought
- History of Art
- Historiography and Analysis of Musical Performance
- Orchestra (participating as instrumentalist in orchestra, camerata, symphonietta meetings)
- Contemporary Instrumental Techniques
- Instrumental Knowledge Seminars (bows, winds, percussion)
In order to be admitted to the programme, candidates must have previously completed a Bachelor's degree in Orchestra Conducting, and a Master's degree will be an advantage. In exceptional cases, the panel may invite candidates who do not meet these requirements to audition.
The registration process for auditions will open in autumn 2023 for the Academic Year 2024/25. The auditions will be held on 22, 23 and 24 February 2024.
The auditions will be organised in the following phases:
Round 1: Pre-selection
Concert videos: 1 or 2 videos with frontal view.
Round 2: Work with pianists
Repertoire: Beethoven's 3rd, 4th and 7th Symphonies, A Soldier's Tale (first movement and Marche Royale), Prelude a L'apres-midi d'un faune. Maximum 15 minutes.
Round 3: Instrumental and vocal ability.
- 20 minute recital performing works by Bach, Classical/Romantic and 20th century.
- Sight reading.
- Instruments of the orchestra:
- 20 minute recital performing Bach/Baroque, Classical/Romantic, 20th century.
- Piano as second instrument: Bach inventions, Haydn/Mozart sonatas, etc. Maximum duration 10 minutes.
- Recital of 20 minutes performing lied, popular song or a work of your choice.
Round 4: Work with orchestra
- Repertoire: 5th Symphony by Schubert.
Round 5: Interview and placement test
- Aural education placement test
- Interview to determine the subjects
Note: the process may vary slightly until the auditions are officially opened in autumn 2023.