New Skills 4 New Artists
New Skills 4 New Artists is a project born in 2019 and conceived with the aim of promoting the acquisition of digital, business, and technological skills by musicians starting their professional career. NS4NA addresses an identified gap in the training of musicians and artists in general. To date, the education and training of professional musicians has focused solely on the set of musical and performance skills associated with the mastery of a musical instrument (artistic skills). This focus on the training of musicians has not changed in essence for decades.
The advent of the information society, where the concert and performance market has become global, has fundamentally altered the music industry. The success of a professional musician today depends not only on his or her artistic abilities but also on his or her technological and commercial skills. The NS4NA project undertakes this paradigm shift that musicians are facing and has the following objectives:
- To equip musicians with the necessary tools, as well as to connect them with the current opportunities and challenges.
- To design and test an interdisciplinary training programme
- To create and establish the basis for a sustainable lifelong learning training programme ready for transfer and integration into training institutions in Europe.
This Erasmus + project is funded by the European Union through SEPIE and is led by the Reina Sofía School of Music in partnership with Cork Institute of Technology (Ireland), Koninklijk Conservatorium Brussel (Belgium) and Grupo DEX (Spain).
Requirements and participant selection
In order to access the first edition of the New Skills 4 New Artists course, a series of requirements must be met, which will enable musicians to take it. The deadline for registration for the course is February 5th, 2021. This course will be delivered entirely online, in English, and will consist of 45 teaching hours. It will be free of charge for all musicians.
The requirements are as follows:
- Age: between 18 and 35 years old.
- Nationality: Spanish or residents in Spain (a copy of the DNI or NIE will be required).
- Availability: participants must commit to attending 85% of the classes. Classes will begin on March 4th and end on June 24th. They will be held every Thursday from 10am to 1pm (CET).
- A medium level of English.
In addition, musicians are encouraged to have:
- Broadband Internet connection.
- Use of a computer, a webcam and an internal or external microphone, allowing them to attend the online classes.
At New Skills 4 New Artists we are committed to inclusive education.
Education must be inclusive, among other things, in the sense of respect for and value of diversity "where it is manifested regardless of disability, race, skin colour, gender, language, linguistic culture, religion, political or other opinion, national, ethnic, indigenous or social origin, property, birth, age or any other status. All pupils should feel valued, respected, included, and listened to. Inclusion takes an individual approach to learners".
The NS4NA course has limited places so we have to carry out a selection process. To do so, it will be necessary to justify in the motivation letter the reason why you want to do this course and if the participant has any idea or artistic project in mind that he or she would like to undertake. As for students coming from the Reina Sofía School of Music, only those who have already completed their studies will be able to access the course. The dates to be considered are:
- The deadline for registration is 5th February 2021.
- The selection committee will choose the selected participants on 16th
- Finally, on 19th February 2021, the selected participants will have their place on the course confirmed.